BillBelew.com
AdSenseAnalyticsBloggingGenerate Content IdeasWordPress

What are best practices for subdomains?994

Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
After I google search to understand the meaning of Subdomain, I begin to understand it. My question is

If I create a Subdomain for my comics, photos, animation and design sketches . . .
1. Is it a different Wordpress blog for every Subdomain?
2. Where is the most cost effective and reliable host for registering Subdomain?
3. Can I install the same Adsense and analytics account?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny

When you register a domain, such as mydomain.com, you also obtain the rights to all sub-domains under that domain. A sub-domain is like this:

subdomain.mydomain.com

and can be made with any combination of letters and number like this:

1234.mydomain.com
mmm.mydomain.com
woowee.mydomain.com

Most commonly, though, recognizable words are used for easier recognition, remembering, and sharing.

Some sub-domains have predetermined applications and should not be used for other things. Examples of these would be:

www.mydomain.com
ftp.mydomain.com
telnet.mydomain.com
mail.mydomain.com
smtp.mydomain.com
pop3.mydomain.com

and several others.

Typically sub-domain names are meaningful to the domain owner and, if used publicly, should make sense to users. Things like,

blog.mydomain.com
store.mydomain.com
shop.mydomain.com
forum.mydomain.com
bbs.mydomain.com

and others like this are common.

Many people mistake sub-folders for sub-domains. This:

mydomain.com/subfolder

is NOT a sub-domain.

Most general hosts don't limit the number of sub-domains you can have. You should not choose a host that does, nor one that charges extra for their use.

A sub-domain is like a completely separate domain in many respects. It can have it's own CPanel (though it usually works through the main domain's CPanel) and, yes, you can install a separate WordPress installation (website/blog) on each sub-domain you set up.

I personally use and like In Motion Hosting for WordPress and sub-domains.

You can install the same Adsense and analytics IF you are in charge of the primary domain, however it is best to set up unique analytics if you want to track things separately.

While it is technically fine to do so, from a business point of view you should never set up your own website or blog on a sub-domain on someone else's primary domain. Something like

mysub.yourdomain.com

is not a good idea. You have little control and you cannot take the domain with you should you need to move it to another place. ALWAYS get your own primary domain FIRST and then build from there.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev Thank you. Does it mean I can create my own subdomain in my domain from my hosting provider?
For example:
photo.tienny.com
HowToDIY.tienny.com
ChildrenActivities.tienny.com
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny

Yes. You can create those sub domains.

@Rev has yet again gone above and beyond in taking the time to explain here. A BIG thanks.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny

As @Belew says, yes you can create your own sub-domains -- as many as yo like (all different, of course) -- on your own domain from your hosting provider IF THEY PERMIT IT. Most do, but some have limits or charge for each sub-domain.

If you have CPanel on your hosting, you will find the controls in the Domains section.

Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev Thanks
Post 6 • IP   flag post
29159 6 6
destitute