BillBelew.com
egwebster private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, new to the forum. Wondering if anyone knows if liability/slander/ etc. insurance is recommended.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@egwebster Hi, it's great to meet you, and what an interesting question. I'm not sure there is such a thing, but I could be wrong. With bloggers reaching worldwide and each country having its own liability and slander laws I imagine it would be hard to enforce. I look forward to some of our experts chipping in on this question.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hi Susan, I'm particularly thinking of content in the U.S. I used to do some journalism and know that people can be funny about facts/opinions etc.
Thanks for the greeting!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@egwebster Welcome to the forum. It is my first time to hear about such question. I understand how you feel especially about slander, liability, etc. Do you mind to share about your experiences? Because I would like to understand about your “funny” meaning on facts, opinions, etc.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Ugh! I researched this. I joined the Author's Guild to access a company that offers insurance to their members. The quote for me was something like $1500 to $2500 per year. After that, I quit looking. I would love to have some kind of coverage because people can sue for anything they want. But I can't justify the amount based on the volume of work I do. (As a percentage of my total annual earnings it just wasn't reasonable.)

I don't think the underwriter really understood the difference between a blogger, a ghostwriter who blogs for others, etc. I am kind of hoping that there is either something out there I haven't found yet or there will be soon. New forms of insurance are popping up as the gig economy takes off so I would expect someone to jump on providing the service soon. (fingers crossed, knock on wood, ...)
Post 5 IP   flag post
Student TParker private msg quote post Address this user
Adding- Susan, I began researching after a client made the request. It was a corporate client and their comptroller wanted to know if I was insured and bonded. Another content producer I worked with had the same issue with one of his huge corporate clients. They ended up hiring him as an employee as that was more cost-effective than him obtaining insurance as a contractor!

So, I'm guessing as more large companies begin working with freelancers rather than agencies, the issue may come up more. I should be following through with my plans to do the whole LLC thing- but there's always something more interesting to do.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks, everyone. It seems like insurance would be something many would want to secure. When I say "funny" Tinny, I mean some reactions to writing, especially if it isn't glowing, can be in the range of disappointment to anger, and someone that is angry would easily sue or threaten to which could have a real chilling effect on a beginner blogger (which I hope to be).
Post 7 IP   flag post
@egwebster Personally, I feel that anger works differently on different people. Some people are good in accusing others. Some are speaking out their minds. Some are jealous. We can find it out by checking them out.
Post 8 IP   flag post
BKatt private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding the context of the question, a quick search confirmed my initial thoughts that bloggers and emailers can be liable for slander. Here are links to an LA Times article and a recent example:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/23/nation/la-na-blogger-suits-20100823

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/melania-trump-reaches-settlement-in-libel-lawsuit-against-maryland-blogger/2017/02/07/3b8ecd86-ed3e-11e6-9973-c5efb7ccfb0d_story.html?utm_term=.6affb5ff4026

As far as insurance possibilities, an independent insurance agent may be your best bet in exploring insurance possibilities. Certain professions have specific E&O insurance (Errors and Omissions). Also, ask if an umbrella liability insurance policy would cover a blogging related lawsuit.

As most would probably agree, the best liability insurance is avoiding potentially libelous writings.

A recent email newsletter had some good reminders for online conduct. (I am not associated with this company)

The article on leaving a digital footprint is second on the page:

https://connect.legalshield.com/hubfs/member_newsletter/2018/February/mbr_february_2018.html?utm_campaign=Member%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-93xRSkwo_sxob_XNBQKD2IqcrixVBOD8U5DvTHZ2T0mG306m8sl9dH-F9cJqdbGPrGKRQSo0L-vHvGUqJu3KBco-fSag&_hsmi=60805812&utm_content=60805812&utm_source=hs_email&hsCtaTracking=b3206d91-769f-4fa4-b846-63d030898e00%7C40ae6b6a-8a1e-42ab-be91-b306099355f7#Story2
Post 9 IP   flag post
BKatt private msg quote post Address this user
@TParker As you research LLC's, be sure to ask your legal advisors if an LLC offers protection for what you write, whether in blogs, books, social media or emails.

If the LLC does offer protection, it is advantageous to know the boundaries between LLC protected writing and personal writing not covered by an LLC.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
I carry insurance, including Errors and Omissions, but that is for technical documents. I don't know what would apply for blogging. The agent I use is based in SF California. He's very good about telling you about, per situation, what you really need and don't need. He's helped me avoid the expense of unnecessary coverage that some agencies expected me to carry (for corp-corp contracts).

If you need insurance, they process the requests very fast.

Paperless Group
Dmitry Glazer
dglazer@paperlessgroup.com
877 239 0067
Post 11 IP   flag post
@rcayeras That’s good for you.
Post 12 IP   flag post
30402 12 12
destitute